About the Canadian Cancer Society
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national, community-based organization of volunteers, whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer. The Canadian Cancer Society:
- funds research on all types of cancer
- offers comprehensive and credible information on cancer, risk reduction and treatment
- provides support for people living with cancer, family members and friends
- advocates for healthy public policy
Following are just a few of the other important services and programs offered by the Canadian Cancer Society:
- Peer support - The Canadian Cancer Society can connect those coping with cancer with a trained volunteer who has had a similar cancer experience. They can receive support and practical information over the phone from someone who had had cancer or has cared for someone with cancer.
- Transportation services - If you need help getting to your cancer-related care, we can work with you to find the best way to get you there. For example, a volunteer driver can pick you up and take you to your local hospital or regional cancer centre and offer you a friendly, supportive environment along the way.
- All of our transportation services are coordinated locally. To find out what's available in your area, contact your local Canadian Cancer Society office or contact an information specialist toll-free at 1 888 939-3333 or e-mail us.
- Advocacy - The Canadian Cancer Society mobilizes Canadians to create social and political change to help control cancer in Canada and to create environments to reduce people’s risk of cancer. These changes will lead to fewer cases and deaths of cancer.
- Support Services - The Canadian Cancer Society is here to help. We offer support and information for people living with cancer, their caregivers, family and friends. For more information on the support services available in your area, questions regarding this information or want to learn more, please visit www.cancer.ca or call our national, bilingual, toll-free Cancer Information Service at 1 888 939-3333.
The Canadian Cancer Society also offers an online directory of community services.