Relay For Life
Picture yourself walking a track while hundreds of people - family, friends, co-workers and neighbours - cheer you on. The baton you hold in your hand is a powerful symbol of your personal commitment to make an impact in the fight against cancer. As you complete your lap and pass the baton to a teammate, you feel an overwhelming sense of pride in knowing you’re united with Canadians in communities across the country to create a world where no one fears cancer.
What is Relay For Life?
Relay For Life is a community fundraising event where Canadians across the country join together in the fight against cancer. In 2014, nearly 400 Relays took place across Canada.
What happens at Relay?
Relay participants walk or run together around a track or path at a local school, park or fairground, passing a baton to their fellow participants and working together toward one common goal the fight against cancer.
At Relay you will:
- participate in meaningful ceremonies
- enjoy food, festivities and entertainment
- connect with cancer survivors
- learn about cancer prevention
Participants can also challenge themselves with a distance goal of 5 km, 10 km or more!
Each community Relay is unique. Relay events are either 6 or 12 hours long and can be scheduled for any time of the day or night. Most Relays take place in the spring and summer. Search for your event to find out more.
Raising funds to fuel the fight
When you register for Relay For Life, you set a fundraising goal and work with a team or on your own to raise funds to advance cancer research and support Canadians living with cancer. By raising funds as a participant in Relay For Life, you will make progress against this disease by funding Canada’s best and brightest researchers who are working tirelessly toward the next breakthrough. You will also help to ease the burden of cancer by providing vital information services and compassionate support programs for people with cancer and their families.
Don’t worry - we’ll be here to help you every step of the way! You’ll be supported throughout your journey, from registration to event day, to make the most of your fundraising efforts.
Who can Relay?
One of the unique aspects of Relay For Life is that it’s open to everyone - regardless of age or fitness level. Children can participate and walk the track hand in hand with grandparents, and co-workers can pass the baton to their friends or family. There are many ways to participate in Relay For Life:
- Team captains are an important part of Relay success. As a captain, you’ll build your own team and work together to reach your goals. A team of 10 members can have 10 times the impact!
- As a participant, you can join a team or register as an individual. Once you register, you’ll set your goal, fundraise and come together with your community to participate in the Relay experience.
- When you participate as cancer survivor, you will inspire your fellow participants, and as you fundraise, you will help create a world where no one fears cancer.
- Our generous volunteers are the heart of Relay. By donating your time, you play an important role in helping your community join this global movement. Find out more!
- As a company, you can sponsor a Relay in your community, donate products or services, or engage employees by joining our Caring Company program.
Join us at Relay For Life and unite with Canadians in communities across the country at this powerful event. Each dollar raised, each lap completed, each baton passed, will bring us one step closer to creating a world where no one fears cancer.