Back in the Boat .... Paddles Up!
Please Support My Participation in this Fabulous Event!
Missed the June Festival so we're headed back onto the water to get ready for the September Dragon Boat Challenge in support of the Canadian Cancer Society in the fight against all cancers. This race is a little different than the usual head to head races involving four boats ...rather than teams of 20 in the standard boats, we'll be using smaller boats with a crew of 10 plus a Drummer and Steersperson. It's a pursuit race involving two boats and rather than a straight ahead race, there's a full turn at the half way point of the course and a sprint to the finish.
I've very much appreciated your support in past events and hope that you will contribute in any way possible to help fund the research and services which provides the care and hope needed by those afflicted by cancer. I started paddling a few years prior to my diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma ....my experience with the disease really drove home the real reason we climb into the boats.
Thanks for your support!
The Canadian Cancer Society funds more research every year than any other national charity and most importantly, it gets results
* Research funded by the Society has allowed doctors to detect cancer sooner, improve treatments and get better outcomes so more people live
* The Society funds research into all foms of cancer from the most common to the rarest form
The Society also provides vital community based programs that support manitoba cancer patients and their families from getting cancer patients to and from treatment to providing counselling, wigs and breast prosthesis
The Cancer Society also speaks up for cancer patients ensuring that all levels of government remainresponsive to the changing needs of cancer patients and their families.
* In 2011, with the support of Manitobans,the Society convinced the provincial government to cover the cost of cancer treatment and support drugs for people fighting cancer at home (on an out-patient basis)
* No other charity worked for this change!
* Since the Home Cancer Drug Program was introduced, 14,484 Manitoba families have benifited. The program ha covered nearly $82 million in drug costs at a time when family incomes are declining and costs increasing.
You can help to fuel the cancer fight by supporting my participation in the Canadian Cancer Society Dragon Boat Festival now. It's easy - just click on the red "Donate Now" button on the right side of this page.
If you want to learn more about the Canadian Cancer Society, visit http://www.cancer.ca.
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.