Get inspired to become a Cancer Fighter
Find the inspiration you need to start your own fundraiser by checking out our list of tried and true fundraising ideas. We’ve also rounded up some recent success stories from other Cancer Fighters, so take a look and see how they were able to organize fun and impactful events!
Remember, when you sign up to become a Cancer Fighter, you’ll get access to a toolkit that will walk you through the process of organizing a fundraising event from start to finish!
Fundraising ideas that make a difference
If you have the passion, but you’re not sure how to turn it into action, then take a look at these fundraising ideas!
- Cut or shave your hair - Set a fundraising goal and ask your family and friends to make
donations to help you reach it. When you reach your goal, chop off your hair! (If you want to donate your hair to help create a wig for cancer patients, then keep in mind that there are specific rules around the length. Be sure to check with initiatives, like the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program, before you get started.)
- Organize a hockey tournament - Ask teams to sign up for the tournament by making a donation to the Canadian Cancer Society. Or, teams can compete on and off the ice by competing to raise the most funds.
- Set up a lemonade stand and snack bar - This is a great idea for the office, school or even out in the community! Collect donations for every drink or treat sold. If you’re organizing this in the winter, instead of lemonade, try hot chocolate!
- Hold a garage/rummage sale - Sell gently used clothes, toys, kitchenware and other goods to raise funds.
- Instead of gifts, ask for donations - To mark your birthday, anniversary, baby shower, wedding or another special occasion, ask family and friends to make a donation and forgo gifts.
- Host a brunch or dinner party - Cook a delicious meal and invite guests over to help eat all the delicious food and in exchange, ask them to make a donation to the fight against cancer!
Meet Cancer Fighters from across the country
Cancer Fighters are just like you! They’re people who want to take action to raise awareness and funds for the fight against cancer. Take a look at some of the stories behind past fundraisers and get the inspiration you need to start your own!
Much more than a haircut
Inspired by the movie Tangled, Xanthe’s goal was to grow her hair down to her ankles but instead, she decided to help cancer patients by donating her hair and raising funds to support the fight against cancer. Xanthe raised over $1,000 in honour of her cousin who is affected by leukemia.
A run like no other
In support of Gary and his journey with liver cancer, Team Gary was formed by 13 members of his family. Team Gary ran the Mississauga Marathon and raised an incredible $4,455 for the fight against cancer!
Celebrating a milestone and making a difference
Jonny Blonde Kitchen opened their first storefront location and to celebrate, they raised $1,300 online and donated 10% of sales from their opening day to the Canadian Cancer Society! In addition to fundraising, Jonny cut off his famous long locks and donated several inches to Locks of Love.
A company that gives back
Brevitas Consulting brings their team together to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month every October with a walk-a-thon to fundraise and support a future without breast cancer.
A breast cancer survivor on a mission to create change
Maureen is a breast cancer survivor and she’s dedicated to raising funds for research. In 10 years, she has raised over $85,000 by hosting an annual pasta dinner. She has her sights set on raising $1 million to help create a future without breast cancer!
Talented and generous
Irudaya, a group of talented young women, created and organized a two-hour dance performance to raise funds for a number of charities, including the Canadian Cancer Society. These dancers collected $10,000 in donations for the fight against cancer!